Who is Vito Acconci?

Vito Acconci was bron on January 24, 1940 in Bronx, New York.  He is known as a Brooklyn-based designer, landscape architect, performance and installation artist.  Acconci attended Regis High School in New York City.  In 1962, he received a B.A. in Literature from the College of the Holy Cross and an M.F.A. in Literature and poetry from the University of Iowa.  Acconci started out as a poet and worked with Bernadette Mayer in editing 0 To 9 in late sixties.  Around that same time he switched gears and went with being a performance and video artist using himself as the subject.  His work was known to be labeled as confrontation and situationism. Mid seventies, he expanded into audio/visual installations.  Acconci has taught at many schools such as Nova Scotia College of Art and Design, California Institute of the Arts, Cooper Union, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Yale University, Pratt Institute, and Parsons School of Design.  Acconci currently teaches at Brooklyn College in the Art Department and Performance and Interactive Media Arts programs.

One video I found on Acconci I found really creepy.  An example would be the first link listed below.  I think what’s creepy is the music chosen for this piece and the tone of his voice along with what he is actually saying.  I feel my overall feeling about this artist is as I previously stated.  He is just really creepy to me.  I do like his different take on being an artist but its just too creepy and weird for me.

theme song 1973 part 1

seedbed

lecture

antartica

Sorry, Comments are closed.